Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Part 1 Omni Hotel - anything BUT Luxury

I am in management in the hotel industry. Housekeeping Manager/Director (Executive Housekeeper) to be exact and have had several stints with the big boys ie Marriott & Hilton. I know what I should expect when paying for luxury accommodations (or any accommodations for that matter!) True, I can get a little how shall we say...... picky? But think about your profession and your expectations when you are dealing with something you know well. Rarely do I actually do anything about it other than comment to my husband and then bring it it to my staff and during Management Meetings. Sort of a "Don't let this happen to you" kinda thing. But once in a blue moon, I'm prompted to do something about the shitty product or shitty service I've received.

But thanks to the Omni Hotel in Newport News Virginia I am doing more than just commenting to my husband. I created a blog. Thank you Omni you piece of crap hotel.

We arrive on 11/15 at 3:30am and we're exhausted because our smooth 5 hour drive has become a 9 1/2 hour nightmare thanks to torrential rain and traffic (and that big nasty tornado that hit NC) Thankfully they didn't walk us. Walking is what happens when you over book the hotel and you are the sorry ass that arrived the latest so they give you a voucher to stay somewhere else.

The hotel looks nice enough at first glance, a little gaudy if you ask me. We get up to our room on the 3rd floor and open the door. It's nicely decorated but the furniture is kinda funky with the tv stand thingy turned toward the bed (hadn't been turned back to the sitting area). Oh but stay tuned my friends, it gets worse.

We pull down the comforter on the bed to find a YELLOW down blanket covering the king sized bed. Not because it was died yellow, but because it was STAINED yellow. The bottom sheet, a Flat Sheet (hotels way to save a few bucks per sheet by not getting fitted) is a curious oddity. I look closer.... someone has taken a FULL sheet and sewn on part of another to make a king sheet. Are you shitting me? This is the Omni hotel, not Motel 6 WTF? But, we're exhausted so we deal with it. Then we lay our heads on the feather pillows. They smelled like sweat. Nasty sweat. As we lay there I vow to say something when we get up in the morning because this in my opinion as an industry insider is WAY unacceptable.

So as we are laying in the bed, my husband looks up and says "Look at that!" There are holes in the wall right above the headboard - screw holes. Several of them. And the smoke detector has wires hanging out... hmmm....... does the thing work? Then there is a small square detector in every room (heat) and that has wires hanging out on the back as well.

We finally drift off to sleep, our 17yo is on the pull out couch with a sheet because there was no blanket and she refused to use our nasty comforter or nasty bed spread. So did we, which is why we all froze that night.

Continue to next post to read more.

No comments: